USA Ultimate recently issued their new mask protocols based on the latest guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the increasingly positive direction of the COVID-19 pandemic in the U.S.
Their guidelines are designed to address two primary types of events – local tournaments and events, in which participants are residents of the same state, and national-level tournaments, which include participants from multiple states.
FOR LOCAL EVENTS
USA Ultimate protocols state that at events in which participants are state residents, all COVID-19-related safety standards, including mask requirements, are subject to the guidance of the relevant state and local authorities.
Based on current Colorado guidelines for masks, AYU will not require masks at most local events and programs*; including summer camps, local leagues, youth club practices (Fry, Cutthroat*, COSmic), and adult tournaments with only Colorado-based teams.
*Cutthroat U20 Boys and Mixed will require players to provide proof of completed vaccination (i.e., two weeks after final dose) to participate without a mask.
FOR TOURNAMENTS AND EVENTS WITH PARTICIPANTS FROM OUT OF STATE
At events in which participants are traveling in from other states, additional screening and/or COVID-19-related safety standards are required in addition to the relevant local health and safety regulations. These additional standards are designed to mitigate the increased risk of COVID-19 transmission commonly associated with travel to and from areas of the country where differences exist in infection and vaccination rates, community spread, healthcare system capacities, vaccine accessibility and local health regulations.
USA Ultimate has given organizers of sanctioned events with participants from other states the choice to implement risk mitigation options and AYU has chosen to follow the #2 option that states that all participants (e.g., players, coaches, event staff, observers, chaperones, etc.) will be provided with the option to report their vaccination status as part of the event registration process (or testing status).
a. Participants who provide proof of completed vaccination (i.e., two weeks after final dose) will not be required to wear a mask at the event, unless otherwise required by state or local regulations.
b. Participants who submit proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test will not be required to wear a mask at the event, unless otherwise required by state or local regulations. The test must have been performed within 72 hours of the start of the event and submitted prior to participation.
c. Participants who do not meet the criteria in 2a or 2b above may participate provided they wear a mask when at the event.
d. Off-field mask requirements for other event attendees, including but not limited to parents, spectators, media, etc., will be subject to the applicable federal, state or local guidelines for vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals.
The option to provide proof of complete vaccination or a negative COVID-19 PCR test will be a part of each player’s USAU membership profile and we will be checking registration via the USAU event rosters of participating teams and individuals. Players and/or teams that don’t comply with these or other event rules are subject to removal from the event.
AYU Tournaments scheduled that we will be following this option: Solstice, Colorado Cup, Masters Nationals, and Pro-Flight Championships.
ADDITIONAL GUIDELINES AND RECOMMENDATIONS
- All participants and staff must follow the CDC good hygiene practices:
- Use hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, or no-rinse soap.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Sneeze or cough into a tissue or the inside of your elbow.
- Players will self-access prior to attending any event/program and are required to NOT participate if they feel under the weather, sick, or have come in contact with someone that may be sick. Health screening questionnaires will be given prior to attendance to statewide events like 4v4 tournaments and Sectionals.
- No sharing of water bottles between players.
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizer (with at least 60% alcohol) will be provided for all participants to use regularly throughout the event or program.
- All players, coaches, staff, independent contractors, and spectators are recommended to practice social distancing of 6 ft. wherever possible.
- Players participate at their own risk and a waiver must be signed by all participants and guardians when necessary.
- Player equipment will be spaced accordingly to prevent close contact.
- Coaches and staff will not attend if they are not feeling well or have come in contact with someone that may be sick.
- Eliminating provided lunches at summer camps.
- Players with symptoms consistent with COVID-19 or other communicable illnesses will be sent home with a recommendation to get tested immediately and adhere to isolation and exclusion requirements.
- AYU or camp directors hold the right to make decisions for the overall health of participants.